Friday, August 16, 2013

Becoming Beautiful

The Beatitudes in Matthew 5 teach the path, the only path, one must follow to become beautiful. This path starts with a mournful heart. One must be sorrowful for their sins in order to be truly beautiful. Then one must be meek, recognizing one’s lowliness as compared to the awesome holiness of the Lord God Almighty. Next, we must be hungry and thirst after righteousness. If we are complacent and content with ourselves as we are, that is not a beautiful thing.

In this endeavor, these words of Christ our Lord promise, we shall be satisfied. The one who strives for righteousness in this world shall be glorified in the next. And because we have mourned our sin, fallen prostrate before the holy God, and sought after righteousness with much diligence – then, this path to our beautification, leads us to be merciful, pure in heart, and peacemakers.

The surprising result is that we are then persecuted. But in that persecution there is absolute beauty – we are Christ-like, for none other suffered more for righteousness’ sake. This then is the path of becoming truly beautiful. And a beautiful person such as this is salt and is light upon this earth, but that story is for another day!


2 comments:

  1. Hi Barbara! I know! You get through the sorrow and hunger and then...we're persecuted. It's a funny thing, but I heard recently that the closer you get to God, the further away he seems.

    But in the pain, there is the Lord. I guess if I want life with him, I have to have that part of his life too.

    Good to see you today!
    Ceil

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Ceil, sorry for the slow response time, I needed a night to sleep on what you’d said here.

      As I see it, these first three Beatitudes are how we start our walk with Christ – mournful of sin, meek before God, thirsting for righteousness. But I think we are deceived to ever think we have come “through” those things and are done with them.

      I like very much that you said God only “seems” to be further away . . . I woke up this morning with the words from my art/story of last month, “Loneliness is a Lie” ringing in my ears! Praise the Lord, we have assurance that He is never far away.

      Thanks again for stopping by.
      - Barbara

      Delete